Whether you are a new homeowner or have lived in the same house for years, you should consider replacing your front door. This is a simple and relatively inexpensive upgrade to your home that is often initially overlooked by a homeowner until there is a specific reason to change the door. We have a list of some great reasons you should consider upgrading sooner rather than later.
- Long Term Investment
- When looking at the return rate on home improvement projects, often homeowners can fully recover the cost of installation if they ever decide to move. That makes this upgrade a great investment regardless of whether the homeowner is currently looking to sell or just settling in.
- Energy Efficiency
- No ones like to throw away money, and energy efficient upgrades are some of the most common choices for home improvement projects – windows, appliances, lighting, and yes, your front door. A door that does not seal tightly can cause a huge increase in power consumption when trying to heat or cool the home. This can even apply to pet doors that may be allowing the exchange of hor or cold air.
- Swelling or Sticking
- The opposite of the problem above, sometimes a door can swell, often due to warm, humid weather, causing it to fit too tightly and be difficult to operate. Replacing your door with a fiberglass, aluminum, or treated wood can eliminate this problem.
- A strong, secure entryway into your home can give you peace of mind. This is especially true if your home has ever been broken into or structurally damaged from other causes, such a moving furniture. If security is a concern, consider investing in a door with a deadbolt, metal sheathing, solid cores, and reinforced sides.
- Moisture Control
- One sign that you need to replace your door is moisture or condensation between the panes of decorative glass. This can allow for the growth of mold inside your door, and could become a serious health hazard. While replacing the glass or having it resealed is an option, this can be a hassle and it’s likely more cost effective and less time consuming to somply upgrade.
- Curb Appeal
- Curb appeal is a term most commonly associated with selling or purchasing a home, however this is not the only circumstance in which it affects you. Your front door is the first impression your home gives to visitors, and even yourself. It should reflect the style of the home, both inside and out, and can even reflect the homeowners personality. Having a door that is inviting, free of dents and scratches, and matches your personal style is an upgrade you can appreciate upon every arrival home.
Perhaps you have discovered that some of these reasons to upgrade apply to your circumstances, or perhaps you have an entirely different reason for considering an upgrade. In either case, be sure to consult a professional before making a final decision. They can offer advice, help you choose the right materials for your situation, and provide a professional installation to ensure you have a stress free experience and a perfect new door that will last many years to come.